Process of Art

Art is a continuing process. For me there is always another way to learn how to work with a media whether it is oil, graphite, acrylic or pastel. New surfaces to work with and different mediums to make the things work differently sometimes smoother more refined sometimes with more brushstrokes or lines.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Tadpoles and Snails

This a painting I have been wanting to tackle for a while. A couple of years ago while plein air painting a group of young boys from a nearby camp came to play in the river to cool off. They were so full of joy and fun. It reminded me of my childhood when I would ride my bike down to the nearby pond to gather snails and tadpoles in a mason jar. The ditch along was filled with wild roses and in the early evening pheasants and dove scurried on the country road.
They were quite a distance off but my little point and shoot canon managed to capture the light and shapes of the boys. I have been pulling up the images every couple of months and thinking about how to begin this piece. After various composition changes I arrived at the one that seemed to pull the idea together. When I began painting it just flowed beautifully. The Adventurers  has been accepted into the Missouri Valley Impressionist Society 8th National Juried Competition and will be on view September 7 through October at the Albrecht-Kempner museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment